In order to provide financial assistance to home buyers, the government introduced Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) in 2015. It is a welfare initiative that provides interest subsidy benefit on the home loan amount to the beneficiaries.
If you want to find out how to apply for PMAY, then read this article.
Buying a house has become extremely difficult for many homebuyers, especially for people living in cities. Therefore, thousands and thousands of people get financial assistance by borrowing a home loan. In order to offer financial help, the government launched Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana. The beneficiaries of this scheme will receive an interest subsidy benefit on the home loan amount.
The government provides the interest subsidy via two central nodal agencies. These central nodal agencies approve the subsidy benefit, and after that, the banks help the beneficiaries to avail it.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Eligibility Requirements
The applicants are categorised based on their annual household income. Primarily, there are 4 categories. The interest subsidy is provided based on the category an applicant belongs to.
|Category||Annual Household Income||Interest Subsidy||Maximum Loan Tenure||Maximum Carpet Area|
|Economically Weaker Section (EWS)||Below Rs. 3 Lakhs||6.5%||20 Years||60 Sq. Mt.|
|Low Income Group (LIG)||Below Rs. 6 Lakhs||6.5%||20 Years||60 Sq. Mt.|
|Middle Income Group I (MIG I)||Below Rs. 12 Lakhs||4%||20 Years||160 Sq. Mt.|
|Middle Income Group II (MIG II)||Below Rs. 18 Lakhs||3%||20 Years||200 Sq. Mt.|
Apart from these requirements, an applicant must meet a few other prerequisites-
- An applicant or any of his/her family members shouldn’t own a pucca house in the country.
- If an applicant or any of his/her family members hasreceived financial assistance from other housing schemes of the government, then he/she will not be eligible.
- Female ownership/co-ownership is required for EWS and LIG. However, it is not required for MIG I, MIG II, and self-construction/extension.
How to Apply for PMAY?
- Visit the website of PMAY. (http://pmaymis.gov.in/)
- Click on the ‘Citizen Assessment’ option.
- Choose the category. If your annual income is more than Rs. 3 Lakhs, then choose the ‘Benefit Under Other 3 Components’ option. If your annual income is below Rs. 3 Lakhs, then select ‘For Slum Dwellers’ option.
- After that, enter your Aadhaar card number. Then, you will be redirected to the application page.
- You need to enter your personal details, income, residential address, and bank account details.
- Once you submit the details, click the ‘I am Aware’ option. Then, click the ‘Save’ button.
- You will receive a system-generated number. You must save this number and print the application form.
- You need to submit the application form at the nearest CSC office. You also need to submit the necessary documents.
The Benefit of PMAY
If you are a first-time home buyer, then you can be eligible to apply for the interest subsidy benefit. With the help of the subsidy benefit, you can get the financial assistance required to purchase a house.