What are dentures? Which are the main types? Can dentures be worn all day long? How to keep dentures clean? This article will provide you answer to all of these and much more.
Gone are the days when dentures were used by old and elderly as the last resort for people who had no teeth. Dentures were considered to be ill-fitting and uncomfortable to wear but things have drastically changed now. The modern dentures are high in quality and are no longer an annoyance for people who use them. They are pretty much indistinguishable from natural teeth provided you wear it correctly.
What are Dentures?
Essentially, dentures are artificial teeth that act as a replacement for natural teeth. They can be taken out and put back into the mouth as per your convenience. Dentures are the only viable option for people who have lost teeth. One of the biggest advantages of dentures is that they can be used to eat and chew any food just exactly the same way a regular tooth does. The two basic types of dentures are full and partial. Full dentures are for those who want to replace all teeth while partial is for those who want to replace just a few. No matter what kind of denture you require, your dentists is the best guide to help you choose the perfect fitting design that fits your mouth and that which matches perfectly with your existing teeth.
Importance of Dentures
One of the biggest advantages of dentures is that it improves the smile on your face and makes it very convenient for people to eat food that requires chewing. It is also very beneficial for people who are suffering from other serious oral health issues. Dentures are a viable solution to replace teeth which cause serious pain and trouble.
What are The different Types of Dentures?
- Partial dentures – Partial dentures are often used when more than one or two teeth are missing. They are fitted to the part of the gum but are not permanently fastened. They can be easily removed for cleaning and while sleeping.
- Full dentures – Full dentures are also known as complete dentures, which are used to replace all of your natural teeth. They can be fitted for your upper or lower gum line and similar to partial dentures, they can also be removed easily.
What are Dentures Made of?
In the olden days, dentures were made of either plastic or porcelain. But in today’s time, dentures are made out of a hard resin. It is essential to take care of the dentures as they are known to be more fragile and can wear down quickly than natural teeth. They are very delicate and can even crack or chip if proper care is not taken.
How can I take Care of Dentures?
You can easily take care of dentures through some simple ways.
- Take out the dentures at night and let them rest in a glass of cold water or a cleaning solution overnight. This will disinfect the dentures and also give rest to your mouth.
- Brush the dentures just like you do for normal teeth but ensure that it is done always before fixing them back into your mouth. Brushing will remove food deposits and plaque and also prevent them from staining.
- Apart from these, using a soft brush, to clean the inside of your mouth before inserting the dentures keeps your gums and tongue clean and healthy.
- Every five years ensure that you replace your existing dentures with a new set of dentures.
Remember, just like natural teeth, dentures also need proper care, so it is very important to go for regular dental check-ups and appointments to keep your dentures clean and well fitting.