Australia is a must-visit place for anyone. It’s a must-visit for those who want to go on a road trip in a cheap motorhome hire. Yet, it is true that it can be a bit costly for those who want to travel on a budget. The good news is that it isn’t impossible to visit the most beautiful Australian destinations while spending very little money.
While many who travel Australia may find it to be a bit pricey, if you know how to travel wisely, you can pay much less for a lot more. To help you in planning your trip, the following tips will help to ensure that you can comfortably travel on a budget:
- Rent a cheap caravan hire. Granted, a trip in a luxury motorhome seems like something that you would definitely want to do. But, if you want to enjoy some of the best experiences of Australia while traveling, you may want to skip out on luxury features and rent a cheaper option so that you have money to spend on other things. A cheap campervan may not have a big kitchen, bed, or fridge, but it can offer you a comfortable place to sleep at night.
- Don’t stay at the big campgrounds with fancy amenities. As you’re traveling through Australia in a motorhome, you may be tempted to stay at a fancy campground. But, fancy campgrounds can be found anywhere, at any time. Instead, save your money, and stay at free or cheap campsites. You can look online to find options in the cities that you will be visiting and even book them ahead of time just be careful about this, as you never know what your road trip may bring.
- Eat in as much as possible. As tempted as you may be to eat out, you will want to keep it down to a minimum. Eating at restaurants can cost you a bit of cash, so save eating out for special occasions or certain destinations and instead bring your food with you to prepare while on the road.
- Enjoy as many beaches as possible. There are beautiful places to see in Australia, but some places may cost you money and preparation to explore, whether due to hiking gear or hiring a guide. A great way to still partake of Australian beauty is to enjoy its beaches. They’re free and you will be rewarded with fantastic views.
- Stay in hostels. If you decide not to travel in a campervan hire, you will want to try to stay in hostels instead. They are quite cheap and pretty comfortable. You can also find them nearly anywhere you go, but make sure to check out locations beforehand.
- Avoid partying more than necessary. You’re on vacation and you want to sit back and enjoy. Go ahead, but remember that drinking can cost a lot anywhere, but especially in Australia. Avoid spending money that you don’t have by minimizing your nights out. Remember, Australia is a great place to explore the great outdoors, so it doesn’t hurt to save your energy.
- Go on tours. Yes, many of them are quite expensive, but if you shop around and do your research, you could get discounts or find lower-priced options. You shouldn’t limit yourself from having fun even if you are traveling on a budget, just be wise and browse your options. Another way to be able to enjoy tours in popular destinations is to buy packages beforehand. This usually helps the overall cost to go down and you get to enjoy a lot of different activities while you’re at it.
- If you want and need to use your phone while on a road trip in Australia, invest in a local phone plan. If you try to use your phone from abroad while road tripping in Australia, you may discover that you are spending too much money. Avoid high rates by buying a cheap phone plan in Australia to be able to keep in touch while travelling.
A big part of travelling well on a budget is to plan ahead and do your research. Many times, travelers will overspend in touristy places that they do not know because they don’t know better. Find out what something should cost, where you can get it at a better price, and write it down. While it is time-consuming, you may be surprised to discover that hundreds of dollars can be saved this way. When it’s put that way, it’s worth it, isn’t it?
If you do choose to rent a cheap motorhome hire for your trip, you may find that this is one of the best ways for you to save money. You’ll have your transportation, bed, and “restaurant” all in one place. Look for great deals before setting out and start planning. Happy travelling!